From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2015 18:34:12 -0500
Not all the HD broadcasts necessarily send out information about what is
being broadcasted.  This is not a requirement.

The HD1 channel is always a duplicate of the analog main channel, HD2, HD3,
and HD4 may broadcast whatever.  The ERP (Effective Radiated Power) of the
HD channels is usually one hundredth that of the analog channel but may be
as high as one tenth if no interference is caused by doing so.  If another
station feels that a station raising its HD channels E R P to one tenth that
of the main analog channel causes them interference, it is up to them to
prove it and not up to the one potentially causing the problem to defend
themselves.

When HD is added to an FM station, the bit stream rate available for the HD
channels is affected by the number of HD channels.  The more channels, up to
4 that are added, the quality of some of the HD channels may suffer as a
result.  A higher bit stream will be allocated to music as opposed to talk
or sports.  There is only so much bandwidth available since the stations
have to stay within the FCC allocated channel spacing on the FM band.

If the ERP of the HD channels is raised to much, it would be possible that
the HD channels would broadcast further than the analog channel.

This is information that I have gathered by surfing the net and not
necessarily one hundred percent correct.  Use it accordingly.

Howard #3, W A 9 Y B W