From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:19:01 -0700
I recently bought a diamond 210 and when we got it put together, I found
diamond has what I consider a main design flaw.  The last dual bander I
had up was a comet, I don't recall the model.  I didn't realize until I
got this last diamond.  I'll try and describe the problem.  At the
bottom of the diamond right below the radials is a round piece about 2
inches long and at the bottom of this is where the coax connects.  This
piece sets inside a piece of tubing a foot and a half long and this
piece is where the mounting hardware goes that mounts the antenna to the
mast.  All that holds that hole top part of the antenna in place is a
small bolt that goes through a hole in the pipe and screws into the
round piece that slides inside.  Hope that makes sense.  The problem is
(this happened to me 2 or 3 times in Vegas, is vibration shakes this
bolt out and then the antenna just wobbles around inside this tubing.
If they insist on mounting it this way, there should be bolts.  What I
did to fix my uhf one in vegas was to cut an x or cross in the outside
tubing with a hack saw and put on a hose clamp. This held the bolt in
and also compressed the tubing against the inside part.  A poor design
as far as I'm concerned.  Commit is totally different and much better.
I'll never buy another diamond.
73
Butch
WA0VJR