Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:14:16 -0400
Phil,

There are two similar apps: TapTapSee which gives you some free pictures, then you pay for the rest per the plan you choose.  Here is info from taptapseeapp.com
TapTapSee is a subscription based service. New users are provided with 100 trial pictures to get started. After those images are exhausted, a message appears requesting the user to select one of the four subscription plans that are offered:

  1.. 50 Picture Pack for $4.99 (no time limit)
  2.. 100 Picture Pack for $7.99 (no time limit)
  3.. One Month of Unlimited Pictures for $9.99
  4.. Three Months of Unlimited Pictures for $24.99
You can purchase subscription packages through your Apple iTunes account.

The second app is BeMyEyes, which is currently free and relies on volunteers.

The app that started the whole thing was VizWiz.  It worked, but I think it has slower response time because it had no funding mechanism to pay people.  Without crowd-sourcing, there aren't enough people to make it responsive.

As for Skype, I don't know what screen-reader you are using.  If you are using Jaws, there are Skype scripts at douglee.com, if you are using a newer version (above 7.0 I think), there are scripts in their app store.

Steve