VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2017 19:12:55 -0500
Hi all,
One of the things I've been working on, is windows 10 using windows
speech recognition, (also called WSR).
I cannot tell you how well it works with NVDA, because I can't use it
with NVDA, because I've got a case where my 2 USB ports are right next
to each other, without any space, so I can't have the microphone and
thumb drive that NVDA is on, plugged in at the same time.
So, I'll talk about 2 screen readers:
1. Jaws. WSR will not work with jaws. You can tell it to press down
arrow or press up arrow, and it will go down a list, and read it, but
you can't type using it, because it will not speak what you typed.
2. Narrator. This is where the fun begins! It's awesome, what it does
with narrator. You can go down a list just like in Jaws, but even more,
you can type, using WSR and Narrator!! Now you have to go letter by
letter, like "press t, press h, press i, press s, press space", and
Narrator will repeat the letters you type, and also, punctuation marks!!!
Now, let's go to the calculator! Same thing, you have to say for
example, "press 1, press plus, press 1, press enter" and it will say the
answer!!
It works with adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing!!!
Now, let's go to the internet, with internet explorer, but you can also
try it with Microsoft Edge, fire fox, or, google Chrome!!
Anyway, I used it with internet explorer, and Narrator. I said "press
control o", and it did it. I said, "press w, press w, press w, press
period, press a, press c, press b, press r, press a, press d, press i,
press o, press period, press o, press r, press g, press enter", and it
did it. It will say every key it presses!!!!
You can down arrow through web pages, you can press space bar to open links.
I didn't try it using thunderbird. So, there you have it friends.
Windows 10 speech recognition, does a nice job, using Narrator!!!
If anyone gets it working with NVDA, let the list know!!!
Harry

---

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]