VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2016 08:28:32 -0800
Hi all,

I've been working on a long document in word 2016. the document is
broken up into sections and subsections, so whenever I get to one of the
section titles, I highlight the title and use alt+ctrl+1, alt+ctrl+2, or
alt+ctrl+3 to turn the title into a heading level 1, 2, or 3, which is
what I use to build and update the table of contents. Everything has
been working fine until this weekend.

Suddenly, when I highlight the title and press alt+ctrl+1 (or whatever),
Jaws would announce, "Subscript 1 (or whatever)." At first, I thought
Jaws was simply misreporting because, when I would arrow to the title
and press ins+f for font information, Jaws would report the same font
information as for other headings, but when I updated the table of
contents, the heading wasn't listed, and when I restarted Word and
opened the document, I'd hear, "Subscript 1 (or whatever)," instead of
the section title.

the good part is that the behavior wasn't at all consistent. Most of the
time, pressing alt+ctrl+# created a heading at the right level, but once
the superscript behavior started, the only way to correct it was to
restart Word.

Has anyone experienced this? I suspect I'm doing something to trigger
the superscript behavior, like flubbing a screen reader command that is
similar to the superscript command, so I'm investigating on the web, but
I thought I'd post here in case anyone has beat me to the solution.

I'm running Jaws 17, Windows 10, and Word 2016.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]