From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2015 15:37:45 -0600
I had a homebrew 12 volt rechargeable pack made up of a number of
cells, about half again as D batteries, all in a large pouch with an
output connector.  Somehow something internally shorted and I noticed
a "hot" smell and found the device, pretty much too hot to touch.  I
grabbed it with pliers and took it outside and left it.  When all was
said and done, the whole thing had pretty much melted.  Had I not
been around and noticed the smell, it certainly could have caused a
fire.  What a deal that would have been to come from the office
to!  Makes a guy damned careful about fusing power sources!