Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 08:40:01 -0500
7bit
From:
"Dr. Ronald E. Milliman]\\\\`" <[log in to unmask]>
I am glad that Howard was able to talk to someone in LDG. I am going to make
another attempt to contact someone in LDG again today, either Dwayne or
Jennifer Kincaid. So far, I have left messages on their phone system, and
nobody has returned my calls. The last message I left specifically for
Dwayne Kincaid, and he didn't return my call. I am not being negative or
offensive in any manner when I call. So, I do not see any reason why I am
being ignored. Further, just because certain parts are no longer available
today does not mean the general circuit cannot be duplicated with presently
available parts and chips. My Son has done this with numerous other obsolete
circuits. Millitronics, Inc. currently specializes in cell phone repeater
systems, and we have updated several devices that employed obsolete parts
with new IC's.

We are currently evaluating several different devices, researching how they
can be made to talk. However, in general, designing products just for blind
hams cannot be done profitably, and nobody is in business to lose money.
Blind hams is a relatively tiny subset among blind people, and blind people
is a relatively small segment of the total population. That is why firms
have no other choice but to either charge much higher prices for products
aimed at the blind market segment or obtain some type of subsidy, e.g. a
government grant to design and produce products for the blind. Again, blind
hams is even a very small subset within the market segment of blind people.
Kenwood can incorporate speech technology into their equipment because the
equipment is really designed for the broader ham market, and to make their
equipment talk, we blind hams have to purchase an additional optional
plug-in board, and even then, the plug-in board is not designed just for
blind hams to make their radios talk. The speech boards are designed to also
appeal to sighted hams that want the other features, such as the recording
and playback features, that the optional plug-in boards provide. Thus,
Kenwood is able to produce the boards in large production runs to keep their
costs down and be able to sell the boards at a reasonable price and still
make a little money on each board they sell. However, I doubt if they are
making very much on the VGS-1 boards.

I'm writing all of this to share with all of you the challenges of providing
some of the specialized equipment and devices we blind hams want. Often it
makes more sense to take an off the shelf product and somehow modify it or
create an add-on that makes it assessable rather than design a total product
from the ground up.

Ron, K8HSY