From:
CA Matlock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CA Matlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2015 09:49:43 -0500

Since my Summary #1 of my question about the Disability Act and nursing home dilemma I’ve received more info from the list members that I thought others may want to see.

My thanks to you all! I no longer feel so alone.

One recommendation was to contact the Alabama Dietetic Assoc. They are an association of RDs— registered dietitians. It is possible one in my area may help me. They are also a satellite of the national association for RDs. I placed a phone call, had to leave a message.

The link which I posted to the Gluten Free Dietician’s advice about nursing home menus is very good, but it is more a statement of perfect conditions. In my world, and in many of the people who have contacted me, this is not how it goes at all. The nursing homes are not going to respond as written in this article.
http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/dietcom-blog-gluten-free-meals-for-the-elderly/ <http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/dietcom-blog-gluten-free-meals-for-the-elderly/>

I post below pieces of pertinent emails I’ve received, and have shortened of necessity:

>>Ours was a situation if the facikity falling underneath "assisted living" memory care. This is different from a nursing home. We are making many if my mother's meals and keeping them in the freezer at the facility. They are not equipped to accommodate, and even if they tried they don't have a gf kitchen, so they at least understand the issues that come with that. These types of facilities don't necessarily have a dietician on staff. So, we made arrangements to supply as much replacement as we can and conceded that we do understand that with dementia that there is a chance our
Mother will get ahold of someone else's cookie (for example) because if the nature of the disease. <<

>>Here in Connecticut the Masonic Facilities offer gluten free options. You do not have to be a Mason to get in<<

>>My father is in a continuing care facility in South Dakota.  They
charge him a $100 supplement per month to provide gluten-free food.
He has GF bread and cereals plus I would guess frequent TV dinner type
of meals when they are serving meals other than basic meat and
potatoes.  It seems to be working well.  He misses having desserts
other than ice cream and fruit so gifts from the family are often GF
sweets.<<

Curtiss Ann Matlock website/blog <http://www.curtissannmatlock.com/>

Love in a Small Town <http://www.amazon.com/Love-Small-Town-Valentine-Book-ebook/dp/B00XJUHG50/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1431704762&sr=1-3&keywords=Love+in+a+small+town>
Mary in Color <http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Color-Curtiss-Ann-Matlock-ebook/dp/B00BMT7NBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1431704819&sr=1-1&keywords=Mary+in+Color>