From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:28:51 -0400
We had a relatively slow, but much better than last year, FD effort.
This time, we had about 30 people who actually operated, with several
taking shifts overnight.

There were two of us operating the CW station, which quit just before
noon today with 275 contacts. That was just about the combined total of
the phone and digital stations.

I spent all of yesterday afternoon on 15 meters, and eventually worked
everything I could hear, before moving to 40.

This morning, 10 finally opened, and I spent the last hour or so there,
working as close in as TN, and as far away as RI. My antenna was a G5RV.

Because the conditions were so bad yesterday, we did not put up the 6
meter dipole that I brought. It would have been nice to have it this
morning, but we didn't stop working the hf bands to put it up for such
a short time.

We operated from a communications trailer and a 2 room office trailer
that belong to the Salvation Army. This meant that we ran the whole
operation, including air conditioning, from the generator that is on
the communications trailer.

We had the HF antennas a bit too close to each other, so we didn't have
as much flex ability to change bands as we may have had if we had
spread them out a little more. Hopefully, we can correct that problem
next year.

Our location was a city park in down town Pelahatchie, MS, about 30
miles east of Jackson. It was 30 yards from the railroad track, and
about that distance from the police station, which, by the way, is
closed on Sunday.

This was our first time to use this location. Other than being rattled
by freight trains almost every hour, it was a great site.

--
Mike Duke, K5XU