From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:49:39 -0400
I'll be looking forward to reading this from Jim.

In my case, I put up a NA4RR 6 band hex last summer.    Managed to put
it together myself and  have it mounted at the towering height of 15
feet.     Of course I would like to get it higher, but  will need help
for that job.

I had a few rotor options, but figured the TV rotor that some use for
this antenna wasn't  good enough.   Also thought about modifying my old
Ham IV like Jim has done, but instead got a Yeasu G800.   The pointer
can be felt and there is also a  point and click   knob on the control
box.    Also has a 6 pin din on the rear for computer control.   I have
a few options if I do pc control, but will be interested to hear  about
Jim's  experience with the German unit.

As to Alan's power handling question:  I know both the NA4RR and K4KIO
antennas are both claimed as "full legal limit".    Not clear if that is
SSB, CW, RTTY, or what.   Don't know how many hams run legal limit, let
alone at a continuous  level, so perhaps not a deal breaker for most.

As for flimsy:  Mine survived a pretty nasty winter, with a couple of
days with wind gusts  around 60 mph, which is  a lot for us.   Also
several ice storms with build ups in the 1/4 inch range.  I did purchase
the optional ice cords to give added support to the spreaders.  The
thing is supposed to dance around in the wind a bit.   I would rather
have it move instead of snapping.

Weight is about 27 lbs.,  diameter 21.5 feet and turning radius 10.5
feet.   Wind load  just under 6 sq. ft.Also about 40 inches high.   The
antenna is as wide as it is long.   So it's symmetrical.   If you don't
like that, I guess you are anti-symmetric.    .

73, Steve KW3A