From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:14:05 -0600
I think you might be able to get away with no guys on the titon as long as
you mount it close to the ground.  These antennas do not need to be elevated
to perform better...the only consideration for elevating them is to get the
horizontal elements over head and out of the way.
You will need at least 3 guy lines to guy the antenna properly if
necesary...they do not have to be in a perfectly simetrical patern, but
should be oriented towards the prevailing winds in your area.

no operational 6M rig here right now.  However, my friend made a few CW
contacts the other night during the araura activity.  He contacted Vancouver
island, about a 1200KM contact to the West, and heard beacons from Yellow
Knife NWT, about 1200K to the north.
He said the Araural flutter was extreme and SSB signals were weak and
difficult to copy.
He's also got a 5 element 6M yaggie at 60 feet and a KW on 6.
WWV on 15MHZ was almost non-existent for most of that solar flair...which is
significant because I can receive WWV on 15MHZ on an HF rig in my basement
with no antenna and just my finger on the antenna port lol.

73
Colin, V A6BKX