From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2015 19:44:10 -0600
well, unless you are planning on installing it somewhere there isn't any
wind, then guy ropes would definitely be desirable to insure the antenna
stayed up right for long enough to make your first transmission.
Two sets probably for this guy.  We had a 43 foot vertical bend over in a
brisk wind last year at the club site.  It only had one set of 3 guy ropes
on it.  it bent over and touched a 38000 volt power line on the edge of the
property...let's just say the antenna, matching box at the bottom and the
radio attached to the antenna were completely destroyed.
Yeah, I know, one should never erect an antenna where it could fall on high
voltage lines...but we are a ham club after all, we don't pay attention to
niggling little details like that lol.

73
Colin, V A6BKX