From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 23:18:41 -0700
Lloyd,

That's a mighty fine score for that amount of time, to say the least.  I
only listened on 10 and 40 the times I checked band conditions.  The fastest
CW station I heard was on 40 and it was CR3A sending at a good 50 WPM.
There were several other guys running 40 and 45 WPM but, of course, they all
eventually drop their speed to pick up contacts later in the contest.  I
heard an old contester talking on 40 meter sideband late last week and he
was telling a guy about the code readers some try and use but unless they've
vastly improved, I would think they wouldn't work as well in crowded
conditions during a contest.  In essence, he told the guy just getting into
contesting that he should not even try using one.  I heard K0RF here in the
Denver area on 10 CW a couple of times so Chuck is still around and
operating.  He used to have 3 or 4 guys over to help run the station he has
on top of a mesa near Denver and he has some pretty good antennas.  A friend
of mine has operated from there many times.  I heard a lot of Colorado
stations on the bands, too, but they were calls I didn't recognize so a new
crop of contesters out here are getting involved.  W0UA and W0ZP used to do
most of the CW operating from Chuck's place but Chuck likes CW, and
especially on 80 meters, so he always operates a lot himself.  K0UK and K0CL
don't own the contest station up on a 10,000 foot mesa in western Colorado
any more and they don't compete as a multi operator single transmitter
station any more.  Larry, K0CL, sometimes goes over and operates for a few
hours at K0DU's stations but all of us are getting up there in years.  Bill,
K0UK, had to climb one of their 5 towers, most were hundred footers, when
Larry own the top of the mesa and it was during a blizzard in the middle of
the night.  The rotator stopped working on one of the towers.  All of them
have to take snowmobiles up to the top of the mesa because the snow is so
deep at those altitudes.  Anyhow, sounds like you and others on the list
here had fun playing in the contest and the conditions weren't half bad.  I
heard several strong Japanese stations on 10 meters so that's a good sign.

Phil.
K0NX