VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:03:02 -0700
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi All,

As we all know, some PDFs read better than others. Sometimes when I open
a PDF, I get a nice document with paragraphs and everything. More often,
however, I get a big clump of text, which is good enough for getting
content, but not comfortable to scroll through or read in bits and pieces.

How do you make a PDF appear to a screen reader as nice paragraphs?

Recently, a literary journal has switched over to PDF format. When I
open the issues, I find a big blob of text, so what ends up happening is
that I read the first couple of selections, then quit because coming
back to things, even with the find command, is sort of hit and miss.
Apparently I'm not the only screen reader user who has had this
experience because the magazine has received complaints from other blind
readers. Someone on the editorial staff has asked me how to solve the
problem.

What do I tell them, or where can I point them?

This magazine, like most literary journals, is mostly a volunteer
effert, so they don't have money to pay a consultant.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]