VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2015 18:53:06 -0800
7bit
From:
Presentations are tough.

If you know a little braille or have enough vision to use mondo font,
you can take one or two pages of notes with you. When I lecture in
class, I cram my brailled notes onto one or two 3x5 cards. The
information is highlights with much compression, so it's just enough to
help me remember what's next.

Other people I know use the Victor-Stream as teleprompter method. They
swear by it. But I agree that it probably takes some practice.

when I give Power Points in class, I braille out the material so I can
refer to it, but when I've been short on time or had braille Snafus, I
plug a headset into my computer, so I can arrow through and hear the
slide. Doing that helps me remember what I need to say, and makes it
possible for me to give my students time to read.

When I interpret, I'm sometimes in situations where I have to remember
information without being able to take notes. One memory trick that
helps is to associate information with body parts, usually parts of my
hands (e.g., pinky, ring finger, etc plus the various knuckles, palm,
back of hand, wrist, and so on). As people talk about something, I touch
a part of my body. then when it's time for me to recall the information,
I again touch various parts of my body to bring things to mind. Memory
experts recommend doing something similar while visualizing a house or
familiar rout. this method may help you remember some of your key points.

when there's a lot of information I want to present and I don't want to
use lots of notes, etc., I try to come up with mnemonics. for example,
if your colleague has a number of prestigious awards, you can organize
the most important ones into a word or phrase, where each letter or word
stands for a different award, or you may parallel her career to yours to
help you remember what to mention.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]