Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:16:55 -0600

I exceeded the line limit of my summary by 4 lines, so I'm dividing my
summary into 2 posts.

Hi All~~

I posted a query about GF popovers - can we use any flour mixture, do we
stick with the baking protocol of high heat, then lower heat, do the GF
popovers turn out much like the non-GF popovers, or should I expect
something else?

Thanks a bunch to everyone who responded...everyone was very enthusiastic
about the final result of their popovers, which gives me great
encouragement!! Below are the recipes and suggestions I received.
Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas
_____
I really love the recipe on glutenfreeonashoestring.com.  I've used better
batter and more recently I use the America's Test Kitchen gf flour blend.
You can google the recipe.  I've use the ATK gf flour for all manner of
things and it's been excellent.
_____
3/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix - preferably without added gum
(see note below)
1/4 cup gluten-free sweet rice flour
1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup half & half (light cream)
2 large eggs, room temperature
Light olive oil or your favorite vegetable oil to prepare popover pan

COOK's NOTE: I used Authentic Foods All-Purpose GF Classic Flour Blend to
prepare this recipe. This product contains brown rice flour, potato starch
and tapioca flour and has no added gum. If you prefer to use a homemade
gluten-free flour blend, I recommend using the following gluten-free flour
/ starch combination to prepare this recipe: 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 2
tablespoons potato starch, 2 tablespoons tapioca starch.

Yield: 4 large popovers

Preheat oven to 450° F / 232° C
Liberally grease a 4-cup popover pan with vegetable oil. Combine all
purpose gluten-free flour, gluten-free sweet rice flour and salt in a small
mixing bowl.Whisk to thoroughly combine. Combine half & half (light cream),
eggs and gluten-free flour mixture (in that order) in a large blender
pitcher. Blend at high speed. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the
pitcher and pulse briefly. The popover batter should look like very thin
pancake batter. Place popover pan in preheated oven for 3 minutes.
Carefully remove pan and fill each popover cup 1/2 to 2/3 full. Place pan
back in preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Reduce oven
temperature to 300° F / 149° C and bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until
the popovers are deep golden brown. Serve warm.* Cook's Note*: I prepared a
dairy free version of gluten-free popovers using canned coconut milk with
poor results. Not only didn't the popovers pop as high, they did not have
the characteristic hollow inside and they did not brown well.
_____
Gluten Free on a Shoestring blog has a recipe for making popovers, which I
made last week. The King Arthur flour site also has a recipe online. I use
a variety of gf flours but Better Batter is my standard. Don’t know if
these recipes will meet your expectations, but it is a start.
_____
Try Bette Hagman's recipe pg 85 "The GF Gourmet". My recollection is that
they were quite good.
_____
Bette Hagman’s recipe in her original Gluten Free Gourmet cookbook, page
44, is what I start with, but I use butter, not shortening, and instead of
all rice flour, I usually use a bit of rice, a bit of fine cornmeal, and
some other grain (teff, buckwheat, sorghum) for a fuller flavor.  They come
out crispy outside and lovely egg-rich softness inside the puff.

Bring to boil

1 C water
1/2 C shortening or butter

Remove from heat, and add (pre-mixed) dry ingredients all at once:

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 c. potato starch
2/3 cup rice flour (or any mix of GF grain/seed flours)

stir until mixture forms a ball that leaves the sides of the pan.
Cool slightly, then thoroughly beat in

4 eggs

one at a time. Bette recommends a mixer, I just have a strong wrist and
wire whisk. Drop into well-greased muffin tin for form goose-egg sized
mounds, 1/2 to 2/3 filling the molds. They will RISE dramatically when
baking. Bake 20 min in pre-heated 450˚F oven, reduce heat to 350 and cook
15-20 more minutes. Makes about 15 popovers. High fat, but delish!!
_____