IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:17:31 -0800
"In my view, using the word "altered" is vastly better than the word
"abnormal." This isn't simply a polite euphemism. The word "abnormal"
is too often extended from describing some aspect of a person to
labeling the person as a whole. The same thing happens when people
are classified as "high functioning" or "low functioning" on the
basis of their ability to physically demonstrate knowledge, initiate
speech, or accurately move their bodies. As a result, we miss the
real person and stop looking for their competence, because we've
already put them in a tidy box. "
""Presuming competence - then going about the work of finding it - is
always the least dangerous assumption."

<http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc110131.htm>http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc110131.htm