From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:07:32 -0230
Hi all:

Well apparently the cause of my fuse blowing in my 102 is due to too high a plate current and over loading.
As the TW-1 has allowed me to tune up for max power, lowest reflected power and SWR, moving the plate control back to the specified setting of 300MA max, doesn't drop the pitch of the meter enough for me to really use it solo.
Basically, I need my XYL's help to insure my plate is OK before operating. I can detect a little ripple in the TW-1's tone and I think I may be able to use this as the guide to tell me my plate has dropped back to the safe levels but not sure.
I don't like under loading, which I could do but this would result in another part of the finals being damaged. Yes it protects 1 part of the tube but damages another and that's pointless as you can't graft parts of tubes together. LOL
So I'm going to send her back to NC4L in FLA as he's the only person who's willing to straighten up my amp keying relay and re_install 1 of the optional CW filters I have and then she may be treated like a classic car. Taken out on Sunny days etc.
I'm also considering a new rig and my 2 considerations are the IC-7410 and TS-590. I've heard the Yaesu FTDX-1200/5000 and I'm not overly impressed with the audio coming out of them for the money.
The FT-950 on the other hand has some of the best audio in an entry to mid priced rig and its to bad they stopped making that. I could get 1 on the used market but I've been pretty much been beaten'  up when buying and I'm not prepared to go through all that again.
I even got taken with my 102 but due to the fact its my favourite rig, I spent an additional 800CAN to get her where she is now. This was after trading an 18 month old FT-450 with desk mic, probably worth at least 800CAN and the 102 plus accessories I got in trade was probably worth half that.
So we'll see, certainly for contesting it maybe time to get a modern set up. I'm even considering unloading my AL-811H and get an ALS-600. When you can't beet them, join them. LOL

73:
Mike DE VO1AX