From:
"Dr. Ronald E. Milliman]\\\\`" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2015 15:52:57 -0600
I have a TS-590 with the internal automatic antenna tuner, and then, I also
have the LDG AT1000PRO II external automatic antenna tuner. I do not have to
disable my TS-590's internal tuner. However, I have read that you should
never use the internal tuner when using an external tuner because it can
severely damage your equipment. So, I do not. There is no reason to use the
internal tuner when I have the external one that works extremely well.

I do not have any trouble what so ever using the LDG AT1000PRO II tuner; I
just listen to  its sounds when I press its buttons and the sound coming
from my TS-590. I have my TS-590 set-up so I can put it in the tune position
with one of the programmable function keys, and when it is in the tune mode,
it automatically reduces my power down to 10 watts to protect my rig during
tune-up and to minimize QRM on the band on which I am tuning up. I simply
press the auto-tune button on the LDG tuner, and it usually tunes almost
instantly, unless I am on a new band or way away from any frequency I have
worked before. I have another button on my TS-590 that allows me to monitor
my SWR. Occasionally, even when the LDG gets done tuning in the automatic
mode, I'll see if I can improve the swr a little more with the manual
controls/buttons on the tuner, one set of up/down  buttons for impedance
adjustments and the other up/down buttons for capacitence fine tuning. Often
I cannot improve what the tuner did in automatic mode; in fact, many times I
only made it worse! Frankly, I really like the way my set-up works.

Ron, K8HSY