From:
Jean Lyke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Lyke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:08:35 -0500

List mates -
I am currently experiencing a bout with dermatitis.  It started in June with a itchy red spot by my right eye and down my nose a bit in June – went to eye doc twice to make sure is was not shingles.  Then in July developed itchy bumps on my right hand and the place by the eye got worse plus a few itchy bumps on my left hand.  The nurse practitioner gave me a round of prednisone that ended 7/27.  A few days after the 27th my whole face including my eyes started swelling, itching, red and very uncomfortable.  Went to the doctor again and put me on Singular, Zyrtec (I already take it daily), another round of prednisone, and topical steroids i.e. Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.025 and also tried Hydrocortisone Valerate Cream 0.2%.  The last day of the prednisone was 8/8 and my face is a bit better but have broke out around my waist, some on one arm and leg.  I finally got an appointment with a dermatologist in Springfield MO tomorrow to see if that helps.

I have been doing some online research and found out that sometimes dermatitis can be cause by dietary nickel that is high in oats, soybeans, lentils, chocolate, almonds, nuts, etc.  I have been eating gluten free oats about every other day for a couple of months and have stopped that along with the dark chocolate bars. I also drink organic Soy Dream soymilk every day (have for years) since I am lactose intolerant and now looking for an alternative.  I had also planted several beds of marigolds and a garden and thought that might be the cause.  I had the marigolds pulled out and cleaned off the garden. I am very careful about my diet regarding gluten but don’t know if it could cause the dermatitis episode I am enduring now.

I would like to know if any of the list mates has had a problem with dermatitis and if they found out the cause and treatments that worked.  I live in a small town and the doctors here just do the prednisone and topical steroids.  I don’t want to do any more prednisone.  I will do a summary and appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

*******
*******