From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2015 11:39:33 -0500
It will be interesting to see how he will deal with tuning.  K3ZO has a 2 or
3-element beam at about 150 feet.  He only gets a reasonable SWR and pattern
over maybe 30 KHz.  While it's true that a lot of DX phone operation occurs
right around 3795, you may need to transmit anywhere from 3605 to 3850 on
phone, 3500 to 3580 for CW, at least in DX contests.
W3LPL has an 80-meter quad of some kind, but I don't think it's rotatable.
He also uses four-squares for transmitting on 80 and 160; they can be
switched to several directions.  He believes that, especially on 160,
vertical antennas are the only way to go for DX.  A couple of years ago,
some European station had a 160-meter 3-3l3ment beam; it came down last
winter, and apparently didn't work all that well.  For receiving, W3LPL now
uses a small array of verticals, designed by W8JI.  They apparently work
better than long Beverage antennas.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com