VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:29:27 -0600
Deque's training initiatives are expanding, so we are looking to
bring
another person on board as a web accessibility trainer and
instructional
designer.  See the announcement at
https://dequeuniversity.com/jobs/trainer
(also shown below):

Web Accessibility Trainer and Instructional Designer

Released December 10, 2014.  Position open until filled.

Deque is looking for an experienced trainer and instructional
designer to
join the Web Accessibility Training team.
Required Skills

   - *Trainer:* Ability to provide confident, engaging,
information-rich
   instructor-led training to web developers, quality control
testers,
   project/program managers, and others involved in web
accessibility
   initiatives.
   - *Technical Writer:* Ability to write well-organized,
accurate, clear
   instructional text suitable for technical audiences in
particular, and to
   write compelling content targeted at general audiences.
   - *Instructional Designer:* Ability to conceptualize and
implement
   course goals, structure, and sequencing for effective learning
in both
   online and instructor-led environments.
   - *Assessment Creator:* Ability to write effective test
questions and
   other assessments.
   - *Front-end Web developer:* Expert knowledge of HTML markup
and design
   practices; high level of proficiency in CSS; Experience with
JavaScript,
   with the ability to explain concepts related to these and
other front-end
   web technologies.
   - *Web Accessibility Professional:* Working knowledge and
practical
   hands-on experience with WCAG 2.0, Section 508, testing
accessibility
with
   screen readers and other assistive technologies, and
evaluating web
content
   for accessibility issues, using both manual and automated
tests.

Highly Desired Skills

   - *Video creator and editor: *Ability to create instructional
videos
   from screen capture software and live footage, and edit them.
   - *Sound technician and editor:* Ability to record with audio
equipment,
   and edit the results for video or for stand-alone audio.

Required Professional Traits

   - *Passion:* A genuine desire to engage in a job that does
some good in
   the world in measurable ways for people with disabilities.
   - *Communication:* Ability to communicate effectively with
clients,
   co-workers, and Deque management to articulate goals,
successes,
   challenges, and any inter-personal concerns openly, directly,
and
   respectfully.
   - *Innovation:* Creative drive to invent new ways of solving
challenges.
   - *Curiosity:* Always learning, always teachable.
   - *Adaptability:* Ability to adjust to constantly-changing
environments
   and circumstances.
   - *Likability:* You don't have to be voted Most Popular or
anything like
   that, but you have to be a pleasant person, because you will
be the
public
   face of Deque, constantly working directly with clients.

Experience

We do not require a minimum amount of experience, but it takes
time to learn
the skills required for this job, so the successful applicant
will likely
have 5 or more years of related experience.  If you have the
skills, that's
what we're really looking for, so please apply even if you have
less
experience.
Education

We do not have a formal education requirement, but given the
skill
requirements, the successful applicant will probably have at
least a
bachelors degree in a field related to instructional technology,
web design,
or another IT-related field, and we expect masters degree
applicants to have
an edge, not explicitly because of the degree, but because of the
skills
learned.  Skills trump educational background though, so feel
free to
surprise us, no matter your educational level.
Equal Opportunity

Deque is an equal opportunity employer.  We encourage candidates
with
disabilities to apply, as well as candidates of all ethnic,
racial, gender,
and social categories.
Compensation

We offer a competitive salary commensurate with the applicant's
skill set.
(Notice that we didn't say "commensurate with experience," though
experience
is certainly one possible indicator of a person's skill set.)
Application

Submit a personalized cover letter and resume addressed to Paul
Bohman,
Director of Training.

Paul Bohman, PhD
Director of Training
Deque Systems, Inc
www.deque.com
703-225-0380, ext.121
Address list
messages to [log in to unmask]

This electronic message contains information generated by the
USDA solely
for the intended recipients.  Any unauthorized interception of
this message
or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may
violate the law
and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties.  If you
believe you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender and
delete the
email immediately.