From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2015 21:48:18 -0500
I am still happy with my FT-950, purchased almost 7 years ago.  It is no
longer manufactured, being replaced by the FTDX-1200, whose panel layout is
quite different.  What this rig may lack in out-of-the box accessibility it
makes up for with knobs and buttons.  There is no speech board available for
it, but most operations are confirmed by beeps.  At the time I bought it, it
seemed superior to its nearest competition, the TS480.  The TS590 probably
has a better receiver in some ways, but I have never had my hands on one to
tell you about the ergonomics.
Yaesu has an FT-450 which has speech output for frequency and S-meter
reading, but that rig is far less flexible than the 950 and 1200.
You should try to get your hands on some of the equipment you are thinking
about, as well as read the manuals that are available online in PDF format,
in order to determine what sort of transceiver you would be happy with, and
what sorts of accessibility problems you are willing to deal with.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com