From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2014 06:22:16 -0400
Mike,

Not from QST, but if you are in tinkering mode, an external box with
extra pf keys  is nice to have for the 590.    Colin from this list had
built one for his TS-2000  maybe 10 years ago, and I  did one about a
year and a half ago.  Since both use the 8 pin round mic connector, it
is interchangeable between the 2 radios.

While the 590 has 2 pf keys on it, it is always nice to have more.  When
you set up the pf keys to give voice announcements  in TX like swr,
comp, and alc, it kind of uses up the 2 keys.

A couple of momentary push button switches, microphone in and out, and
some resistors, and you are in business.

BTW, if you have a mic with up/down buttons (even the stock hand mic)
and can do without the up/down function, the 590 lets you reassign them
to act as pf keys.

Good luck with the new radio.

73, Steve KW3A