VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2020 14:02:24 -0800
Hi All,

I'm running Windows 10 1909.

I just had a frightening experience with cloud storage, which made me
realize I don't really understand One Drive and Windows Libraries. If
anyone can give me a little explanation to get me started, I can read
more on my own.

So my experience has always been this.

When you go into This PC, you find folders like Desktop, Documents,
Downloads, and Music, and later you find the official C:\ drive. If you
put files into Documents, Music, etc., they go into One Drive and are
synced by Microsoft. If you don't want to use One Drive, you can go into
the C:\ drive to find Users > your name > and a different set of folders
called Desktop, Documents, Downloads, and Music, and you put your files
there. The two sets of folders with the same name (i.e., the two
Documents folders) are completely unrelated, so you can add files to one
without the file appearing in the other. When you upgrade to a new
version of Windows, Windows defaults you to the set of folders that is
synced to One Drive. If you aren't interested in the MS cloud service,
you need to get yourself to the folder that doesn't sync.

Since I'm not a One Drive user, I always get myself to the folder that
doesn't sync. I also empty out the synced folder, and I usually turn off
One drive though this is sometimes enough of a PITA that I give up at
some point. Every now and then, I check the synced folder to make sure
it's still empty, and it is. I don't remember when I last checked, but I
would say it was probably last spring.

This morning, I had a very different experience.

About a week ago, I updated to Windows 10 1909. Last night, I downloaded
some files from the web, and when I couldn't find them in the
non-syncing Downloads folder, I realized I had to set the right folder
because of the OS update. This morning, I saved an email attachment, and
the same thing happened. The file wasn't in the non-syncing Documents
folder, so I saved the attachment again, this time navigating to the
right folder. What I just described went as expected.

The next thing I did was go into the Documents folder that syncs to One
Drive. It was full of folders and files, including my BARD and Audible
books. That was a surprise. I didn't check to find out whether it was an
exact copy of the non-syncing Documents folder. My quick skim was that
most things were there but that a few things were missing. Maybe during
all the Google Drive drama of a few days before, One Drive somehow got
itself in on the cloud sync action and copied my files. Anyway, I hit
ctrl+a to select all, and I hit Delete to clear the One Drive folder.
Then I went to C:\ > Users > Ana > Documents, and ... you know where
this is going ... the folder, which isn't supposed to sync, was
absolutely empty and its contents were permanently gone. Fortunately, I
had copies of the really important things in Dropbox, so I pasted them
into the non-syncing folder, and a few minutes later, when I checked the
One Drive folder in This PC, my newly pasted files and folders were there.

So my first question is "Are these two folders now one and the same?"

As I've been exploring, I notice that, when you're in one of these
syncing / non-syncing folders and press the Applications key on a file
or folder, there's an item that says, "give access to," which includes
options like Home Group and Specific Users, and there's another item
that says "Include in Library," which includes options like Documents
and Music.

So my next two questions are "What do the 'Give access to' and 'Include
in Library' items do, and how are they related?"

I know that home groups, sharing, and libraries have been part of
Windows forever, but I've never understood these features, even when I
try to do some reading.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at