VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:28:17 -0500
I was a Database Administrator for 13 years and can say it is quite
accessible.  The pay was similar to what this article mentioned, and the
work was interesting at times, boring at times, frantic at times.  The
money is good for a good reason.  Databases often are the back-end for
many applications, and those applications often need to be working
24X7X365.  There were many times I was dragged out of bed at 1 A.M.,
on a Saturday morning.  Worked until 8 or 9 A.M. got a few hours of sleep,
and then was called again Sunday afternoon, only to work until the early
hours of Monday morning and then was expected to be at my desk as usual
later that morning.

On the flip side, when things are working smoothly, and there are no major
projects in the works, there is time to relax a little.

Good work if you can get it, and there seems to be a need for DBAs
recently.  I know that when we were looking for new DBAs on our team, we
had difficulty just trying to get applicants.

  --
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi

Archived on the World Wide Web at