VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 5 May 2014 07:47:49 -0700
Hi All,

Last night, I installed free Open Office on my Windows 8.1 machine, and
it seems to be working well with Jaws 15 and NVDA 2014.1.

I wrote a very short sample document in the text editor (only two
sentences). I was able to read and select text. Spell check needs some
work as I wasn't
able to comfortably read the suggestions.

I also wrote a very simple spreadsheet, and I was able to read the text
and edit a column name, using Excel commands.

I started a slide presentation, but Open Office seems to have crashed
when I was trying to add a new slide. I'm not sure what happened exactly
because
I lost speech for a moment. When it came back, I found a screen that
told me the document recovery system would save my file.

In all three cases, Jaws and NVDA worked well. I tried Narrator, but it
wasn't able to read the text of my document, spreadsheet, or
presentation. I tested
this for maybe fifteen minutes. So far, I've only found one unlabeled
button; it was on the crash screen. For those who enjoy the odd fantasy
of wrapping the Office ribbon around Bill Gate's neck, Open Office uses
menus.

Just thought I'd report.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at