From:
Richard B McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2015 07:55:37 -0800
Hi List!

That was awesome!  FYI, below is the RepeaterBook link to the Los Angeles
repeater  into which our net was patched via EchoLink.  This is a powerful,
wide area repeater.  Basically, it covers all of Los Angeles County and
beyond; reaching from there South into San Diego, North into Ventura, East
towards Palm Springs and West ~75 miles out into the Pacific ocean.

http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=06
<http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=06&ID=235>
&ID=235

Personally, I prefer to use my radio rather than my computer.  Connecting a
repeater via EchoLink to KY2D-R
<http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/echolink/node_status.php?node=KY2D-R>
accomplishes this.  Additionally, I suppose it broadens the opportunity for
other blind hams within the repeater's range to join our net using just
their radio; noting that using just EchoLink sometimes is an additional
layer of complexity and accessibility that some blind hams might not want to
deal with.

Finally, please let me be so bold as to encourage everyone to spread the
word about our net.  It was not easy to get a local repeater to host our
net; especially since it happens to occur at 5:00 PM local time at the
height of LA traffic rush hour - go figure!  I contacted more than 10 local
repeater owners before this one said OK.  The Hispanic American Amateur
Radio Club <http://www.haarc.org/>  is to be commended for that.  Towards
this end, let me provide everyone with the text of the letter / email I sent
out to local repeater owners asking them if we can use their repeater
(beneath the "***").

73,

Richard KK6MRH

***

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a new ham having received my Technician license about eight months ago.
I am blind.  There is a group of blind hams that operates a net for blind
hams every Friday night (technically, 0100 UTC, meaning 5:00 PM local LA
time).  Presently, this net is active on the East Coast.  There is no
repeater in the LA area that hooks-up to this net.

I am wondering if we could use your 147.945 Chatsworth (Oat Mountain)
repeater for this; connecting it to EchoLink node 798782 (KY2D-R)?  The net
typically meets for about one hour.  I suspect that there are many blind
hams in your coverage area that would really enjoy this.

I can be reached at the contact information shown at the top of this email;
email is best.

73,

Richard KK6MRH