VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 12:22:54 -0500
7bit
Sender:
From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
It may be true that your screen reader possesses features such as
flexible Web, scanned PDF recognition and snappy keyboard responsiveness
but can it help to defeat the Klingon Empire? If the answer to that
question was no, then your screen reader isn't quite up to speed with
the 23rd century. Sorry to break it to you but I call it like I see it.
Two Window-eyes apps which have recently been updated are Battleship and
the Trek game, which is now called Trek 2014. I haven't tried this yet
but I plan to do so, as I am a major Star Trek fan. My only quibble is
that there's a reference to warp 14, which I believe was mentioned in
TOs (the Original Series) but established canon is pretty clear that
warp 9 is about as fast as you can go, according to Federation science.
However, as this game is probably set in the TOS universe I suppose I
can live with it.
While JAWS and NVDA both allow users to write scripts to expand their
capabilities, Window-eyes users have gotten very creative with the apps
they've written, as is evidenced by the fact that there are games
available. Window-eyes users can download the games from App Central,
available from www.gwmicro.com/apps or you can use the Windows key along
with the letter G which launches the AppGet app, allowing you to
conveniently browse and download apps. Hopefully, the app will give you
no tribble at all.
For those who are curious, here is the description of the Trek2014 app.
The Trek2014 game is a replacement for the Trek game. The goal is to
destroy all Klingons before running out of time and energy. To refuel
your ship you must find and doc to a Star Base. The galaxy is an 8 by 8
grid of quadrants. In each quadrant resides an 8 by 8 sector grid. You
navigate around the galaxy in a direction from 1 to 8.999 that follows
in a counter clockwise direction with 1 pointing directly to the right
or the 3:00 position. The speed in which you travel is a warp speed of 1
to 14 and any hirer will take you out of the galaxy. Most commands can
use a short form which uses the first letter and a number which it
requires. Navigate or NAV would be n3w1.5 where N stands for navigate
direction and w is the warp speed of 1.5.

--
David Goldfield,

      Founder and Peer Coordinator,
Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info/

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]