From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2015 18:07:33 -0400

The survey question is included below but not the original article that
prompted it so as not to exceed the message length limit.  Thank you to all
who responded.  There are 46 data points altogether, including children and
siblings that were included in the responses.

I should have asked if the diagnosis of celiac disease came before or after
the tonsillectomy.  Some of you were astute enough to include that
information.  In some ways it's moot: 2) some people suspect they were
celiac long before diagnosis and 2) the results seem to be all over the map.
This is not a scientific study but 46 is a formidable sample size. I'll
write to the author and let him know the results.

Most respondents (40) were diagnosed celiacs

            22 had their tonsils out

                        7 had their tonsils out (timing not specified)

                        10 had their tonsils out before diagnosis

                        5 had their tonsils out after diagnosis

            18 still have their tonsils

Only 6 classified themselves as gluten sensitive or intolerant (not
diagnosed celiac)

            4 had their tonsils out

                        2 unspecified date

                        2 before developing intolerance

            2 still have their tonsils.

There weren't enough of us undiagnosed celiacs to draw any conclusions at
all!.

Among the celiacs, the 5 who had their tonsils out after diagnosis could be
combined with those who still have their tonsils for a total of 23 as far as
the premise of the article goes- that removing tonsils predisposed to celiac
disease- pretty well shooting down the hypothesis.   Besides, there has been
a move away from tonsillectomies even while the incidence of celiac, or at
least its diagnosis, is increasing.

In all fairness to the author, he makes a good argument in favor of keeping
tonsils if only to avoid unnecessary surgery if other means, such as diet
and vitamin supplements, can keep their swelling down.  Could the real
question be the correlation of tonsillitis (and not the surgery) to celiac
disease and perhaps non-celiac gluten intolerance?

Some people mentioned other autoimmune conditions as well, and breastfeeding
as a factor, but I just kept this survey analysis as simple as I could.

Thanks again for participating!

Mary in upstate NY