From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:17:18 -0600
Richard,
A M is the way we used to comminicate via voice on the ham bands,
likely long before you were born!  Not to begin a long, old fart rave
about the mode, but it was the way that things were in the late
fifties when I got licensed.  However, single sideband was coming
along then and eventually A M lost favor.  The cons are that it takes
up at least double the bandwidth of a voice comunication using both
sidebands.  And, watt for watt it takes more power than an equivalent
sideband transmission.  And a good A M transmitter requires a lot
more engineering than its sideband equivalent.  I'll back away from
that a bit and say different engineering and equipment.
The big pro is the possible great sound of A M.  If you listen around
seventy-five and forty meters, probably more night time than day,
with your receiver set to A M, you may hear some really good sounding
transmisions.  There are a few hams still enjoying the mode a
lot.  When ten is open, the frequencies just above 29 mhz. might have
some A M transmissions around.  And it is a mix of old, fifties and
earlier equipment and the newer transceivers that you will hear.
I could go on a lot longer but this should give you the
idea.  Occasionally listen on ten meters and try the other lower
frequency bands after dark and find out what there is to hear.
Hope this helps.
Pat, K9JAU who started on A M and still loves the memories.At 10:41