Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:29:35 -0600
Mike,
Good luck with the FT102.  An old rig is very much like an old
car.  One of our kids had a 1965 Ford Galexy convertible, reasonably
restored.  What a great set of wheels, except damned nearly every
time he put the key in the ignition, something needed
attention!!  Car or rig - if you can handle maintenance yourself it's
not too bad.  But if you have to pay someone for their expertise, it
gets to be less fun!  I have had, and still have a couple of vacuum
tube transmitters and receivers around.  The ham I used to work with
on lots of these rigs has moved on to different interests so I am a
bit stuck.  Not too many folks out there with the interest and
competence to do good service work.  I have received ongoing good
recommendations of a ham in Texas who does extremely good Kenwood
service and a shop in Michigan who does very good Icom work so I feel
in pretty good hands should one of my "modern" rigs need help.
Good luck with your service isues and keep us informed.