From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 05:31:55 -0500
I spent yesterday afternoon with w9njy, running portable sitting at a picnic
table out in a park.  It was sunny and warm for us here, probably mid 60's.
We litterally threw a 55 foot dipole fed with 300 ohm line up in the trees.
Put it on a kx-3, and turned the radio on.  I worked w1aw-8 on 20 meter CW
using the internal battery power.  So that was 5 watts.
Then we added a 50 watt amp, 7 amp hour battery pack, and switched to a LDG
tuner.
Then just for grins we plugged in a mike.
Now the SWR with out the tuner on 10 was 10/1.  Shouldn't radiate even if we
can tune it.
Well we sat there until it was pitch dark.  Worked the contest on 10 15 and
20.
We made 60 contacts in maybe 2.5 hours.
Everything from Argentena to alaska to Japan.
By the end we were wearing the coats hoods and gloves that we brought along.
This will be a memory to keep in February.
We used a slingshot connected to a fishing line to make the path over the
tree limbs.  Then we disconnected the fishing line, pulled a rope over,
hooked the antenna to the line and pulled it up to the branch.  Did that on
each end and let the center hang.

H T Kaufman MSW LCSW
Adaptive Technology Instructor

---