VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:21:01 +0100
Hi Kelly,

Interesting question?
The first answer is, that to use MSIE 4.0x in combination with a screen
reader or screen magnifier the access tool must support MSAA 1.1.
It is a public secret known by Microsoft and most developers of screen
readers and screen magnifiers that MSAA 1.1 includes a lot of bugs.
Microsoft never reported these bugs on their site.
I tried the MSAA 1.1 version and I got a lot of Windows 95 crashes.
AiSquared the maker of the Screen magnifier ZoomText Xtra that I'm using
adviced me to download a file on the Microsoft FTP site, that solved this
problem.
Microsoft asked me to remove a link to the MSAA 1.1 RDK from my homepage,
because it could cause problems to some accessibility aids they say. I also
asked them why they never report the MSAA bug and why they never communicate
with AiSquared about the new MSAA release.
If you ask Microsoft something about MSAA they don't answer your questions.
On the Microsoft site you can read that it is the best accessible Internet
browser. But at this moment there is no release of any accessibility feature
that works with MSIE 4.0x.
If you take a look at:
  ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/mscorp/enable
you can see some interesting things.
The file msaardk.EXE dated November 10 1997 contains version 1.1 of MSAA
including all the bugs.
The file MSAAQFE.ZIP dated at January 17 1998 includes 2 updated .DLL files
for MSAA 1.1 that solves some bugs in MSAA 1.1.
You also can see a file msaa12b1.exe there dated February 7 1998. This will
include version 1.2 beta 1 of MSAA.
This new version brings me to the following questions:
- What is MSAA 1.2?
- Who is testing this version?
- Are the makers of accessibility features communicating with Microsoft
about this version?
- Are the makers of accessibility features working on upgrades of their
features that support MSIE 4.0x and when will these are available?

Maybe someone can answer these interesting questions?

Peter Verhoeven
Internet : http://www.plex.nl/~pverhoe (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage)