VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Bower <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Bower <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2016 17:20:28 -0400
Hi All:
For years, I've been using MS Outlook for my e-mail (IMAP), calendar,
contacts, tasks and notes. It works very smoothly with Jaws. Also for years,
I've kept the all-important data file, the .pst file on DropBox. This allows
me to access all my information from multiple sites, as long as I don't try
to have it open on more than one machine at a time. This is very important,
because Outlook locks the .pst file, allowing access from only one machine
at a time. If you accidently open it on two machines, it will make a
"conflicted copy" and your changes won't be saved to the original.
So as long as I'm careful about the latter, this works great. if you look up
syncing .pst files via the cloud online, you will find that it is not
recommended, I think mainly because of the issue above. But it has worked
for me for years so I stick with it.
I just upgraded to Outlook 2013, and it looks like maybe there is a problem
when outlook tries to update via the DropBox, some DropBox process starts
that takes the focus and doesn't give it back. So Jaws loses focus and I'm
in no-where land. I should emphasize that this is only a hypothesis at this
point--I'm working with Freedom Scientific to see if this is what is causing
Jaws to constantly lose focus.
So my questions for you all - what are you all using for e-mail, contacts,
calendar notes, tasks that works well with Jaws and is accessible from
multiple machines? I will be extremely loathe to give up my outlook, but I
should take this opportunity to at least ask what others are using for an
integrated system. In my limited experience with Google Mail and Google
Calendar, I've found them very cumbersome with Jaws. Maybe it's just a
matter of getting used to them, but...
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
-Amy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~