VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:01:11 -0800
Sherry,

The Dropbox app is very accessible. It's a folder on your desktop. You
copy files into it or delete apps out of it. The right Windows key gives
you the usual options; it also includes a Dropbox submenu, which has an
item for copying the Dropbox link to the clipboard. You arrow to a file,
press the applications key, go into the Dropbox submenu, and press enter
on Copy link; then you use ctrl+v to copy the link into an email. If you
already share a folder with someone, that folder magically appears in
the Dropbox app, so you just copy the file into the shared folder in the
app. Anyway, I have the Dropbox app on my desktop computer, laptop
computer, Android devices, and HP tablet, and whenever I add or remove a
file from one computer, the others sync as soon as they have access to
the web.

The one very big caveat is that the installation is almost completely
inaccessible. A couple of years ago, when I had Windows 7, I could use
the say window command, review cursor, and mouse simulation to get
through the installation and tutorial, but since I've been on Windows 8,
8.1, and 10, I haven't been able to do it without sighted help. I've
installed it on a couple of devices since summer, and I haven't been
able to read anything even with the touch screen. This last time, I
noticed that if I just press space bar every few seconds, I get through
the tutorial. The problem is that there's one screen where you have to
enter your user name and password, and since there's no audio feedback
at all, there's no way of reliably counting the number of space bar
presses to get to that screen or to get from that screen to the end.

So if you have someone around to help you install it, Dropbox is worth
installing.

ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]