VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:51:23 -0800
Hi all,

Has anyone on list used a PC stick? If so, please tell us about it. I
especially want to know if you can use it without a monitor.

I'm feeling sulky about the whole FN key situation with laptops. I'm
also not happy about the touch pad. My little 11.6 acer netbook had F1
to F12 keys that behaved normally, but it had a persistent touch pad.
Even when I turned it off, it would randomally turn back on, probably
because I inadvertently touched the edge while I was typing, so the
cursor would go to strange places. Of course, carrying an extra keyboard
is an option, but the whole point of a laptop is portability, so I'd
rather not have to keep track of and carry more than the absolutely
essential.

someone mentioned a PC stick. Apparently, it's a thumb drive with ports.
You plug the unit into a TV or monitor, and you plug a keyboard, mouse,
and so on into the thumb drive itself. The Thumb drive is your CPU. I
believe the ones out now run Windows 10. I read somewhere that someone
used one successfully with Jaws or NVDA. But I haven't found any other
details. Has anyone here used one.

Also, the reason I own a netbook is so that I can take it to school and
hook it up to the overhead projector in class. This way I can write
examples and so on as I lecture. the overhead projector is mounted high
up into the wall. I just plug one of the classroom's cables into my
netbook and press a button on a control pannel that's in the room. So
could I just plug the PC stitck into a portable battery or dock to run
it both in general and in class?

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at