VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2014 07:49:19 -0700
I think that Mike makes a very good point though age alone is not the only factor in resistance to new technologies. Other factors include whether one is happy with the technology one has and the ability to finance the new technology. And for blind people, that last one is very important. Because most blind people are un- or underemployed, financing new technology purchases can be difficult at best. Most of the computers that blind and visually impaired people currently use were purchased by state vocational rehabilitation agencies for use in educational and job settings. Since most (though certainly not all) workplaces continue to use Microsoft-based Windows programs with no Apple access available, it seems likely that it will be Windows-based computers that state vocational rehabilitation agencies will be purchasing for their clients for the forseeable future.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
While reading Christopher's response and comments on David's blog post,
something struck me.
Could David's and Curtis' views on the iPhone be, to some degree, age
related.
Seemingly, Curtis Chong has been around forever.  I may be exaggerating a
bit, but I recall, as a teen in the 1960s, reading the Braille Monitor and
believe Chong's name regularly appeared there.
Now, to my point, I am in my early 60s; and my perspective on adapt ive
technology has changed over the years.
I used to get excited by new things and was eager to try and use them all.
Now, I'm at the point that I almost don't care and am not really all that
interested especially if it requires
much much of a learning curve.
I am suggesting that perhaps Curtis Chong's views may be somewhat in that
line or he is thinking on how the average non-techie will respond to these
products.
I may be all wet on this; but perhaps the differing perspectives of David
Goldfield and Curtis Chong may at least in part have this at their root.

Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence, or learning.
Frederick W Faber, 19th century English hymn writer and theologian

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]