From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 21:53:21 -0700
I heard something tonight during the ssb contest I don't believe I've heard
before but often wondered why it couldn't be done; especially with two CW
operators.  In this case, PJ4G was on 15 sideband when I first heard them.
I listened for quite awhile and suddenly realized something had changed.  At
first, I thought they had changed operators but as I continued listening to
the exchanges made, the voice of PJ4G changed again.  I listened more and
heard the other voice, that is, another operator, answering stations and
making the exchange.  The only real reason I noticed this was the second
voice was British while the first sounded Midwestern.  Plus, the original
voice I copied had hum on his voice occasionally.  I'm assuming they were
using two microphones on one transmitter and whoever picked out a call
first, or jotted down two or three calls in the pile up that the primary
operator had missed, answered and made the contact.  I noticed it was 2 or
more calls as if they had been jotted down.  I always figured this could be
done easily on CW and while two worked a channel, a second transmitter would
be used to search and pounce.  I also enjoy listening to the phonetic reply
digital reply programs that some of the stations are using.  I frankly think
that would slow the exchange down vocally since the response is repeated
phonetically instead of just replying with letters and numbers but then
again, I noticed the station operator occasionally answering without the
phonetic responder.  All in all, times have changed.  I wonder if we will
get to computers working computers while we go out skiing or to the beach
during the contest weekend, haha.

Phil.
K0NX