From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2015 13:52:03 -0700
Some people enjoy the psychological effect of spending great gobs of their
hard earned, or, sometimes not so hard earned, money on well marketted, and
well branded power strips.
I personally use allot of Ikea power strips from the small 3 outlet type, to
the larger 7 or 8 outlet bars...these are usually 5 or 8 bucks for a package
of two.
They offer around the same protection and reliability as the 80 dollar
monster brand or other cleverly marketted strips that offer so called
lightening or power surge protection for ac, telephone, internet and cable
tv lines.
I guess the only considerations you may wish to invest your mental power
into is size, number of outlets, and how the strip is configured to
accomidate wallwarts etc.  Also what kind of shut off/breaker components are
built in.  I would certainly refrain from buying some expensive power bar
with a bunch of useless bells and whistles that do nothing but eat into your
wallet.
the equipment you plug into the power strip is going to have more than
enough protection built in...and if something serious does occur, the power
strip, and the built in protection aren't going to save the equipment
anyway...redundancies don't prevent catastrophies.
Just my opinion for what it's worth.
73
Colin, V A6BKX