From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:44:37 -0500
Hi, all.

I just wanted everyone to know that I think I have finally solved my port
locking issue with the N3FJP logging software.

The problem apparently resulted from a tactical error on my part.

To make a long story short, I was running both the N3FJP rig interface and
the Kenwood ARCP590 programming software via a USB to serial adapter to the
serial port on the TS590.  This was making the N3FJP software unhappy and
unable to release the port when switching from one application to the other.
I had wrongly assumed that this would not be a problem, since only one
application is used at any one point in  time.

Now, I am running the N3FJP software rig interface with a straight-through
serial connection between the logging computer and the TS590, and the
ARCP590 programming software using a straight-through USB cable between the
computer and the 590, and everything seems to be working.

The only down side to this new arrangement is that I'm not able to use the
N3FJP wave files for navigating from one data entry field to the next.  The
wave files require the Windows default sound card, and I need to configure
Jaws to work with  the other sound card in order to use  the ARCP590
software.  However, I'm sure I'll be able to  get used to this new reality
through time.

Thanks to everyone on the list who gave me various suggestions for
addressing this issue.  Even though my solution is not totally perfect, I
think it will be workable.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ