From:
Richard B McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 07:12:02 -0800
Hi!

I wonder if the port locking issue has more to do with the same, single USB
port being shared by one or more applications as a COM port.  I have found
that even if a single application accesses the port it will not properly
release it; which causes port locking issues.  in order to properly setup a
USB port as a COM port (for use by a single application or to share it with
multiple applications) you need 1) a proper USB adapter, 2) a proper serial
cable and 3) a port sharing utility application.  The following works
flawlessly for me:

1. USB Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8/r
ef=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402372926&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=USB+to+9+pin+se
rial+male+adapter+kensington

2. Serial Cable:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6-Feet-Straight-Through-Serial/dp/B00066HP2E/
ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1402005703&sr=8-6&keywords=db-9+female+cable+serial

3. Port Sharing Utility: http://eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

Note that the port sharing utility is "Virtual Serial Ports Emulator"
(VSPE).  VSPE comes in a 32 and 64 bit version.  The 32 bit version is free,
and the 64 bit version costs $25.  I use the 64 bit version.  My rig is a
Kenwood TS-2000, I run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I use AC Log 4.8.

HTH & 73,
Richard KK6MRH