From:
Ed Malmgren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:18:56 -0600
G M Ron, What I did when I had a cabin cruiser and added another battery was
to get a device and I can't remember what it is called but it has two diodes
back to back leading to each set of bats.  The alternator feeds the center
between the diodes and then which set of bats are low takes the charge but I
don't think I would short both of sets of bats together.  That way you never
get your starter bat run down and have to paddle to shore hi hi.  Thad
device has cooling fins on it to keep cool.  I use the deep cycle bats in my
motorhome to run my 590 but I do have solar panels on the roof.  Good luck
Ron.  73

ED K7UC