From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:25:04 -0700
It depends on how much room you have and what configuration you are
considering.  If you can put something up outside, many of use a dipole
which in its simplest form is a quarter wave on each half, so on 75
meters, for example, you would have a piece of coax going to the feed
point and a 60 foot wire running to the left and another 60 feet piece
of wire going to the right, with the shield tied to one and center
conducter to the other.  These will some times tune on other bands, but
not well, so often these are redisigned with multiband traps and so
forth.  The G5rv which yo'll see mentioned is about 105 feet long total
length and fed in the center with balanced line which is a certain
length and that is hooked to coax which goes to your radio.  Again,
these aren't anything you could put up inside.  Key thing to remember
about an antenna is it has a radiator and a ground.  On the above
mentioned dipole, one wire, to the center is radiator and shield is the
ground, both are important as antennas must work against a ground.  A
vertical is another kind of antenna, the vertical part is the radiater
and it must work against a ground plain which can be many pieces of
wire, a metal rooff, a balcony rail or whatever.  If you have a balcony,
you could mount something to the rail, or you could hang a thin wire and
ground the shield to a counterpoise wire or the rail.  You would use the
tuner in the radio, so the length wouldn't be critical, although longer
is better for lower frequencies.  You really need to get some local help
there if you can to see what can be put up, places to tie to and so
forth.

Hope some of this makes sense.  Antennas are a complicated subject and
there are many books written on this subject.  You could also go with a
screw driver antenna of some kind, these are made for mobiles, but if
you had a good ground, you could use one of those.  I have one of those
on my metal roof of my house and it works very well.  These are a
vertical whip which are controled from inside the shack and a small
motor shortens or lengthens the antenna depending on the band.

73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148