From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:58:21 -0400
Long time participants on this list may have heard this story before,
but here goes again just in case.

While growing up, I was blessed to have a blind adult role model. When
I became interested in ham radio, my parents took me to his house one
day to see his station, and to talk with him about the hobby.

One thing he showed me during that visit was a Heath kit DX60
transmitter. He told me that his wife built it for him not long after
it went on the market in 1962.

Through the years, that transmitter put several Novice operators on the
air, and while it was not my first transmitter, I used it a few times
when my equipment was off somewhere being repaired.

After he died in 2005 at the age of 82, his wife gave me the DX60, and
it is a prized possession.

When I picked it up from her, I asked her about building it, and
specifically how she learned to solder.

"Well," she said, "I had never touched a soldering iron before I built
that kit. So I didn't know any better than to read the instructions,
and just do what they said do."

The transmitter worked the first time it was powered up, and never had
to go back to the company for repairs.

Later, my friend who checked it out to be sure the electrolytic in the
power supply were okay told me that she didn't do a bad job putting it
together.

--
Mike Duke, K5XU