From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:25:00 -0500
Hi, Phil, yes, the amp seems to have made quite a difference. My initial
impression of the ALS-600 is very positive. It is certainly easy to operate.
It is not my first linear amp. Actually, my first one was a homebrew amp I
built way back when I was in high school. What I really liked about that
homebrew amp was the pair of 866 mercury vapor rectifier tubes I had in the
power supply. I could see some back then, and I loved to go into my shack at
night, which was in the basement, fire up the rig and amp, and turn all of
the lights off when I was in a QSO. I drove that amp with a DX-40, which had
controlled carrier modulation. The beautiful glow from the mercury vapor
tubes varied in intensity as the power from the DX-40 varied with my voice.
It was almost hypnotizing! <lol> My favorite of all time amp, however, was
an Alpha 374 I owned several years ago. That Alpha was built like a
fortified brick crap house! <lol>

Ron, K8HSY