Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2015 23:28:51 -0500
7bit
From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
I have been using N1MM+ since late July under Windows 7 64-bit.  I control
an FT950 with it, and a Rotor EZ (Idiom Press) controller from its N1MMRotor
program.  You need at least XP Service Pack 3 to run it, and probably should
have 2 GB or more of RAM.  I am using it with Window-Eyes, now at version
9.0.  I have not yet tried to set up telnet, spotting, PC-controlled keying
or digital modes.
For the main entry window, use the context menu key to remove as much
extraneous information as you can.  If you have used Alt-N to open some
windows, you may need sighted help to close some of them, because the act of
moving the mouse pointer (JAWS cursor) to find a Close graphic may cause
focus to jump back into the entry window.
In my setup, the rotor control program occupies one window, a log of the
current contest occupies another, and the entry window is a third; all of
these are accessible with Alt-Tab.
Getting the correct field label information when you press the Tab key is a
recurring issue, as it was in earlier N1MM.  In the entry window, I use the
Window-Eyes Field Label function on each field before starting a contest.
If you don't do this, the callsign field will always be called TESTFOO, and
the other fields will be labeled with a string of labels, and it will be the
same string as you repeatedly tap the Tab key until you have cycled arount
to TESTFOO again.  Once set up, your labels will stick unless some change in
the screen layout occurs.Even if a callsign has been worked before and you
have the correct information for him, you must press spacebar and Enter
before the contact is logged and you can move to the next QSO.
The configuration window where you enter station data, ports, keyers, etc.
also suffers from problems caused by you not being sure which field you are
entering data into.  Some of the needed information is carried over when you
load an old-version database into the program.   Also, an INI file is still
used to hold some of the configuration information.
Having said all these negative things, I have only worked with a sighted
person on this program once, and that was after successfully logging several
contests and W1AW/3 operations.  I would not say that the program is less
accessible than previous versions, but the screens are definitely more
cluttered.  A close-to-standard K1EL keyer is recommended if you are goign
to send CW with this program.  Audio is handled differently, too, if you
have been using that functionality.  If possible, I would encourage you to
work with N1MM+ and give us and the authors feedback.
If you have questions, hopefully I will answer them more promptly than this
one.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com