ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:02:39 -0500
Hey, Matt

Bottom line is that you've got to read the Bible account.  It's tough to
explain here, especially since I know you don't long notes.  Grin.

But yes, the LORD told Abram that he would have many children and he and his
wife were very old so he thought that was impossible.  That is why he agreed
to Sarah's plan to have sex with her maid (and gave birth to Ishmael).  But
it was Isaac who was the son of the promise who all the good things would
happen through.

Here's the passage (I'm copying from HTML so I hope no garbage letters come
out in it!):

Genesis Chapter 17 verses 15 through 22:
"Then God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her
name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and indeed I will
give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of
nations; kings of peoples will come from her." Then Abraham fell on his face
and laughed, and said in his heart, "Will a child be born to a man one
hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?"
And Abraham said to God, "Oh that Ishmael might live before You!" But God
said, "No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his
name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting
covenant for his descendants after him. As for Ishmael, I have heard you;
behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him
exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make
him a great nation. But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah
will bear to you at this season next year." When He finished talking with
him, God went up from Abraham.