ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:40:11 -0500
Hey, Matt

Just wanted to clarify some points in your note.  You're not saying that
Sarah actually had sex with anyone besides Abraham or had children with them
are you?  The two instances you mention are from Genesis 12 and Genesis 20.
In Genesis 12 he's still Abram and he asks Sarah to say she's his sister so
Pharoah won't kill him to take her.  In Genesis 20 he asks the same thing so
Abimilech the King of Gerar will do the same.  (As Abraham says in 20:12 she
really is his half-sister which was okay in their culture before the LORD
had introduced Himself to Abram.)  But nothing necessarily happened.
Pharoah did take her for his wife, technically, but Pharoah's harem had a
lot of wives in it and he may not have had sex with her, though he was given
plagues for marrying her.  And Abimilech was kept from touching her by the
LORD.  And she never has children with either one of them.  In both cases,
Pharoah and Abimilech both took Abram or Abraham to task for what they had
almost done to his wife.

Paul