Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 12:42:43 -0500

Hi All~~

Finally, the FDA GF labeling rule is a reality! Thanks to everyone who
worked so hard to make this possible. Now, I think we should think about
the things that need attention and haven't been addressed for the past
umpteen years (to my knowledge).

I don't intend to summarize, though that could change. This is simply my
opinion about what we can do for ourselves and others. Please don't flame
me - everyone comes from their own place in life. If you don't agree with
me, I recognize your right to disagree.

Whether or not you are in favor of Obama Care, this is the best time to
make our legislators in Washington know how expensive our gluten-free food
is. The Affordable Care Act does not go into effect until 2014 - how do
celiacs and the non celiac gluten intolerant fit into this new model of
health care?  I'm particularly interested in how difficult it is for people
on Medicare and/or Medicaid to afford gluten-free food. Celiac disease is
considered a disability; if you don't care to present yourself as having
this disability, that's certainly your decision. But, I believe that now is
the time that people who need to know are informed about the financial
burden of eating a gluten-free diet, *before* the Affordable Care Act goes
into effect and we're left out. (I would love to see our national
organizations help us in this effort.)

I have written a letter to Secretary Sibelius, Health and Human Services.
I've briefly explained celiac disease and attached a research article that
has verified that GF food is 242% more expensive than the same food that is
not gluten free. I've identified my legislators and senators in Washington
and in Kansas so that I can send them a copy of the letter and attachments
I'm sending to Secretary Sibelius. In Kansas, not only is our food
inherently expensive, our sales tax is among the highest in the nation.

People act when a law, rule, injustice, or an interest affects them. I'm
asking that everyone who reads this post think about what they might do if
they lost their job and had to rely on unemployment to live without another
income (from a spouse or parent), or learn that one or both of their
parents on Medicare was diagnosed with celiac disease. If all of us write,
call or email just one of our state or federal legislators or senators
asking that relief of some kind be extended toward those who are on
Medicare or Medicaid, we would make a difference. And if you're working and
still can't afford your food, tell them that. Your letter or email doesn't
have to be long - writing from the heart is the best way to make people
understand what we are wanting them to know.

Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas

--
*
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace...* Millen